1. generates economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry.
2. involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life chances.
3. makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage to the maintenance of the world’s diversity.
4. provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues.
5. minimizes negative economic, environmental and social impacts.
6. culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
*The Responsible Travel Handbook 2006, p10